|About Us||| Print ||
Mercy University Hospital was established by the Mercy Order in 1857 as a 40-bed hospital staffed by four Sisters. However, in the intervening years it has expanded rapidly both in terms of facilities and accommodation, becoming the second largest hospital in Cork. Indeed, in the last number of years, Mercy University Hospital has undergone very significant capital development allowing it to relocate its public wards into a new building and allowing for further development of various specialities within the Hospital – including a 50-bed acute psychiatric unit, new pathology and clinical pharmacology units, new endoscopy suites and coronary care unit (CCU).
Located in the busy centre of Cork City, Mercy University Hospital is a voluntary, general acute hospital catering for both public and private patients.
The Hospital provides approximately 350 beds and offers a wide range of specialities which provide in-patient, day patient, out-patient and emergency services. The Hospital also participates in the Medical Undergraduate Training Programme that runs in association with the National University of Ireland.
Mercy University Hospital supports students completing the 4-year BSc Nursing Programme with the provision of clinical placement, co-ordinators, preceptors and facilitates a positive clinical learning environment.