A patient's charter was first introduced in Ireland in 1994. As a patient in our hospital, we wish to advise you of a document entitled “National Healthcare Charter.” Click here to access it. It sets out exactly what patients have a right to expect when they make use of hospital services.
Key Points Covered by the Charter Include the Rights to:
- Access - avail of services that are organised to ensure equity of access to public health and social care services.
- Dignity and Respect - be treated in a courteous manner at all times, by all members of hospital staff.
- Safe and Effective Services - receive care provided with competence and skill in a safe environment delivered by trusted professions.
- Privacy - your privacy being respected and ensuring strict confidentiality of personal information.
- Communication and Information - be informed of the consultant under whose care you are being placed, of the nature of your illness in a language you can fully understand, of the results of any tests / x-rays etc., of your proposed treatment (including expected benefits and possible side-effects), and of alternative forms of treatment.
- Accountability - complain about any aspect of the hospital service, to have the complaint investigated and be informed of the outcome as soon as possible.
- Participation - be involved in your care and the right to have your family and carers involved in shared decision making about your healthcare. Taking into account your preferences and values. Receive visits from relatives and friends -- including children.
- Improving Health - receive a service that promotes health, prevents disease and supports and empowers those to self-manage their long-term health condition.
Access under Freedom of Information
Under the Freedom of Information Act 1997 (as amended in 2003), a patient is entitled to apply for access to information not otherwise publicly available.
You have a right to:
- Access records held by Mercy University Hospital. Correct personal information relating to yourself by the hospital, where it is incomplete, incorrect or misleading.
- Access reasons for decisions made by Mercy University Hospital directly affecting you.