The Mercy University Hospital was founded in 1857 by the Sisters of Mercy and has expanded substantially since its opening.  

It occupies 16 acres in Cork’s city centre, treats over 137,000 patients and has a visitor footfall of approximately 50,000 people per annum.  Its annual operating budget is in excess of €120m.

Mercy University Hospital is a public voluntary hospital and became a company limited by guarantee in 2003. The affairs of the company are managed by a Board of Directors who are responsible to a Trustee Company – Mercy Care South which was established in 2016.  The hospital is a registered charity and operates as a not for profit entity. 

MUH has over 1,200 staff providing complex diagnostic, medical and surgical care with strong academic and research programmes. It provides a comprehensive range of services consistent with its status as a Model 3 hospital, providing 24/7 acute surgery, acute medicine and critical care.

MUH is committed to being an exemplar model of “one hospital on multiple sites”, evidenced through the governance of off-site MUH services on St Mary’s Health Campus, including the Mercy Local Injury Unit and the Transitional Care Unit.

The hospital is a teaching hospital affiliated with University College Cork (UCC) for both postgraduate and undergraduate education. The Health Research Board Clinical Research Facility, Cork’s (CRF-C) administrative centre and its Adult Research Unit are located in MUH. The hospital now extends into the wider community and continues to generate valuable and inclusive cross-city links with many different agencies.

 

For More Information Click Here